Clubhouse International joins other mental health organizations in recognizing May as Mental Health Awareness Month. We hope you will join us in taking this opportunity to raise awareness and take action. Together, we can change the world of mental health!
Add Your Voice
We invite you to add your voice – from anywhere in the world – to create opportunity for people living with mental illness, as part of several exciting initiatives happening this month.
Work WORKS - Member Voices Speak Out
Throughout the month of May, we are amplifying the voices of lived experience by featuring Clubhouse member and employer Transitional Employment stories. These stories demonstrate every day that recovery is possible. Celebrate the importance of employment in recovery: follow us and share with your networks.
- Add your voice to our social media pages: Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Use the #WorkWorks and #MHAM hashtags.
- And click here to see some of the stories we have received.
“Through Genesis Club’s Transitional Employment program, I worked as a mail clerk at UMass Medical Center. For the first time in ages, I was earning a paycheck. Many days I had sweaty palms, my heart pounded in my ears, and my limbs froze. However, I knew I needed practice working, just like I needed the practice at the gym. If I could just hang on, I knew I would get through, and every week was less terrifying and more liberating. Today, I work two jobs. I love working! And instead of feeling like a burden to my family, I now feel like an asset.” Catherine, Genesis Club (MA, USA)
Rhys Fenn, Team Leader in Porterage (Furniture and Gas) at PA Hospital, was offered employment through a partnership with Stepping Stone, a membership-based community of people with mental illness dedicated to rebuilding their lives. Through hard work, diligence, and a supportive environment Rhys has not just stepped, but jumped into the opportunity and changed his life. The Transitional Employment (TE) program provides structure and routine, and creates a safe space for Stepping Stone members to interact with people, but also achieve daily successes.
Clubhouse Giving Day (June 1)
Join us for Clubhouse Giving Day! Follow us on social media and visit our Clubhouse Giving Day web page to learn how you can support your favorite Clubhouse and Clubhouse International during the giving period from May 18 through June 1.
US National Advocacy Campaign
Clubhouse International, in partnership with Fountain House (NY, USA) and other US advocacy organizations, has launched a multi-year US National Advocacy and Awareness Campaign, Healing Minds, Powering Communities. The goal of the campaign is to:
- Effect policy change
- Increase public funding
- Expand access to proven, community-based solutions such as the Clubhouse Model of psychosocial rehabilitation.
Campaign Kick-Off: join us May 24-31 for a Community Mental Health Week of Action where participating Clubhouses will open their doors to elected officials, community leaders and members of their local media to show them why the Clubhouse Model works, and why we need policies and funding to support mental health services.
Mental Health Action Day
We are proud to be a founding partner of Mental Health Action Day (MHAD) on May 18, powered by MTV, now in its third year. Although more people than ever are comfortable discussing mental health, finding effective resources, such as Clubhouses, remains a challenge.
MHAD is an open-source movement of brands, organizations and cultural leaders joining together to shift the culture of mental health from awareness to action.
TAKE ACTION: On May 18th, we are asking you to dedicate one hour to a mental health action for yourself, your loved ones, or your community.
- Clubhouses and Clubhouse Members: We encourage you to open your doors to your local community. The most effective way to understand how a Clubhouse changes a community, is to visit, and to meet Clubhouse members.
- Our Community at Large: We encourage you to visit a Clubhouse and/or share information about the Clubhouse Model with your networks.
- On May 18, all are invited to join the Clubhouse International in the METAVERSE. Click here to view our special Mental Health Action Day web page for instructions on how to join us! We are partnering with Interverse Ai, a leading tech company in artificial intelligence and user behavior. For Mental Health Action Day, they have created a Mental Health Space. The aim of the space is to promote understanding of mental health and offer a space where people with lived experience can find support. Click here for more information!
- Helpful resources:
In the Media!
Our Executive Director and CEO, Joel D. Corcoran joins the eighth season of the Emmy-nominated public television series, Healthy Minds with Dr. Jeffrey Borenstein to discuss how the Clubhouse approach to recovery integrates into community health systems around the world to provide a solution for people living with serious mental illness
Keep the Momentum Going!
- Make a gift in support of our efforts to change the world of mental health
- Engage with us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram!
We hope you will join us for one or all of these initiatives as we come together as a global Clubhouse community!