New Hope Clubhouse
Nonprofit Executive Director Position Description
Proposed Start Date: Sept 2, 2019
Proposed End Date: Dec 31, 2019
Location: Brownwood, Texas
This is 4-month contract position. While there is a possibility for renewed funding for a similar position in 2020 for which a person successful in this position would have first preference, the Board is only asking for a 4-month commitment.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience, up to maximum total of $15,200. This position could be full or part-time depending on the availability of a highly qualified candidate. Expenses associated with temporary or part-time relocation may be considered, as well as assistance to find short-term housing options in the Brownwood community if needed.
The Board of Central Texas Clubhouse Initiative (CTCI) seeks to hire an energetic and highly-motivated individual to springboard New Hope Clubhouse to a higher level of operations and visibility in the community. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors. The ideal candidate will have strong prior leadership experience, grant management experience, and experience with the Clubhouse model as defined by Clubhouse International.
About Central Texas Clubhouse Initiative
CTCI is an independent 501(c)3 nonprofit, not associated with an auspice agency. It was formed as a working group in Jan 2017 by participants in recovery-oriented program of the local LMHA, the Center for Life Resources (CFLR), after a field trip to Austin Clubhouse. From the beginning, it has included individuals from multiple counties in central Texas and thus envisioned the possibility of eventually starting multiple clubhouses.
New Hope Clubhouse is the first of these and has been meeting for 6 hours a day, 1 day a week in Brownwood, Texas. This has been made possible by a close relationship with Brownwood Community Church (BCC), which provides meeting space with full kitchen, $50 weekly food stipend, and covers utilities and occasional other expenses. It has been staffed by two Board member volunteers, one who also works as a peer support specialist at CFLR and another who is a former employee of CFLR.
Opportunity & Resources
CTCI currently has unique and time-sensitive opportunities to enhance and expand New Hope’s operations for the remainder of 2019. The most significant is Spark grant funding from Clubhouse Texas. A large portion of this funding provides for this Director position, along with provisions for a well-stocked media lab, and substantial additional funds for staff and member trainings and supplies. In conjunction with this new funding, Brownwood Community Church has agreed to expand the availability of its space, rent-free, to three days a week. Additionally, a community donor has paid for the cost of one-year’s rent for an office at Community Connections of Central Texas (CCCT), a nearby hub for area nonprofits, from which the Director can work (together with members whenever possible) on community outreach and networking, advertising, and fundraising during times when Clubhouse is not yet officially open. The CCCT space also includes larger rooms available to use for fundraising and other events.
While the longer-term goal is for New Hope Clubhouse to have its own, independent Clubhouse location, the spaces at BCC and CCCT provide excellent spaces to work from to pursue that goal. In addition to the Clubhouse members themselves, the Director will also have the support of CTCI’s seven-member Board of Directors, including two who are available as limited part-time volunteers, and the assistance of a part-time staff generalist, depending on funding and availability.
Director’s Key Responsibilities
1. Responsible for leading New Hope Clubhouse in a manner that supports and guides its mission as defined by Clubhouse International and the International Standards for Clubhouse Programs.
2. Responsible for implementing in 2019 the following program goals specified in our Spark funding agreement with Clubhouse Texas:
a. Grow New Hope Clubhouse from a 1-day a week program to a 3-day a week program.
b. Transition New Hope Clubhouse’s data management to the Flourish Database system and ensure compliance with all expected data reporting.
c. Create transportation assistance opportunities for Clubhouse members.
d. Plan and attend an Immersive Clubhouse Experience (ICE) trip to San Antonio together with Clubhouse members.
e. Spend any remaining Spark award funds in 2019 in a strategic manner to support the goals of Clubhouse.
3. Responsible for fundraising, networking, and advertising in the community, focusing on meeting the membership and attendance expansion of goals of 2019 and pursuing multiple funding options for 2020.
4. Responsible for supervising any part-time staff generalists who may be hired. The Director may have the opportunity to select for hire the part-time generalist who assists them.
5. Responsible for communicating closely with the Board of Directors and coordinating with them to advance the organization’s mission.
1. Strong understanding of the Clubhouse Model as defined by Clubhouse International
2. Experience working in an accredited Clubhouse preferred
3. Proven experience as a program director or other managerial experience
4. Grant management experience
5. Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to the nonprofit sector
6. Strong written and oral communication skills
7. Ability to convey a vision of New Hope Clubhouse’s strategic future to staff, board, and donors
Holidays and Weekends
Preference may be given to an otherwise equal candidate who is willing and able to work some holidays and weekends so that Clubhouse members will have opportunities on those days. However, the highest priority at this time is hiring a Director who is highly qualified to implement and expand the Clubhouse model in the short time period of this grant.
How to Apply
Please send your resume, references, and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The person who is offered this position may be required to undergo any or all of the following: background check, including DMV record review, FBI and DOJ fingerprinting.