How Work WORKS at Clubhouses
Inequality for people living with mental illness, and the challenges they face as they seek to obtain and maintain gainful employment and fully integrate with society.
Clubhouse Transitional, Supported and Independent Employment Programs. These programs are effective strategies for helping Clubhouse members return to paid employment, which is a gateway to recovery.
- Better employment rates -- 42% at Accredited Clubhouses annually – double the average rate for people in the public mental health system public mental health system.
- A road to permanent employment for Clubhouse Members: Here is one example from Fontenehuset i Oslo in Norway: Mental health problems had made it difficult for Marit to work for 12 years, but, with the help of her local Clubhouse, she got a transitional job and eventually a permanent job in her desired and trained profession as a Pharmacy Technician. She later said, "If someone had said when I entered the Clubhouse that I would end up in a permanent job again, I would not have believed it."
- And positive outcomes for Employers: "Partnering with Potential Place Clubhouse has been amazing on so many levels. We have had great success with the individuals who have joined our team - we have hired Michael on permanently as the associates on my staff couldn't bear to see him go. He is such a great team member!!!" Arlene Gillespie, General Manager, Staples, BC, Canada
Here's What YOU Can Do
- Share your employment success story on our Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter or YouTube pages!
- Become an Employer Partner -- click here to visit our Employer Partner web page
- Learn more about Employment Programs at a Clubhouse near you -- click here for our International Directory
- Learn more in this video!