Founded in 2015, California Clubhouse is an accredited social and vocational rehabilitation program for those whose lives have been impacted by mental illness. Based in San Carlos, California Clubhouse is part of a larger, thriving, network of more than 300 global Clubhouses in 30+ countries creating hope and opportunity for their members. A recipient of the prestigious Conrad N. Hilton Humanitarian Prize, the Clubhouse network is “a proven model to help those suffering from mental illness reclaim their lives and realize their potential through work and the support of a caring community.” The only local program of its kind, the California Clubhouse is a self-powered community made up of like-minded individuals who empower, and advocate for each other to create a unique sense of belonging and support. The innovative Clubhouse model restores agency to members who participate in consensus-based decision making and assists members in reaching the goals they have for their career and education. The program has proven benefits for both members and employers. The results are extraordinary: Clubhouse members have longer job tenure, higher earnings, and double the employment rate as compared to individuals living with mental illness who are not clubhouse members.
California Clubhouse, in partnership with San Mateo County, is entering an exciting new era – with a move to larger premises – and is poised to expand the number of members served, its programs, and services under new leadership. California Clubhouse seeks a dynamic, compassionate, and ambitious Executive Director (ED) who is committed to supporting the lives of adults recovering from mental health challenges. Overseeing a current team of six, the ED leads all operations of California Clubhouse in collaboration with members, staff, and other key stakeholders. In partnership with the Board, the ED works to ensure California Clubhouse continues to serve the community and will drive the organization's vision to expand support to others in critical need of Clubhouse services.
Fundraising and Strategic Growth
- Actively engage the greater community to develop new relationships and identify partnerships with like-minded organizations, civic partners, and prospective funders to advance the work of the Clubhouse.
- Lead the strategic planning process in collaboration with the Board to develop concrete long term goals and funding needs.
- Develop and execute a fundraising plan and/or campaign to guide and promote the evolution and expansion of the organization’s resources and programs in alignment with the strategic plan and new facilities.
- Identify opportunities to raise the profile and reputation of the organization through the prominence of the new location and press and marketing opportunities.
Budget and Fiscal Management
- Use sound fiscal best practices to develop annual budgets, track financial progress, and oversee fiscal activities of the Clubhouse.
- Provide oversight for contract and grant negotiation, execution, implementation and reporting.
- Ensure communication of accurate and timely reports to donors and the Board of Directors.
- Manage hiring of staff and colleague engagement through coaching, mentoring, teambuilding, performance management, recognition, and professional development. Provide leadership and oversight through an empowerment-based model, consensus-driven and equity-based decision making.
- Manage staff and collaborate with members to oversee the business, administrative, and logistical operations of the Clubhouse.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Perform other related duties as required.
You identify as a collaborative leader and creative problem solver who relishes the opportunity to build consensus and drive progress forward. You delight in connecting partners and donors to greater opportunities for impact and meaningful relationships. You’re most fulfilled when empowering teammates to identify, leverage, and amplify their skills and talents. In addition, you bring:
- A passion for helping people achieve their personal and community goals while focusing on their mental health recovery.
- At least 5+ years of senior non-profit leadership and management experience in fundraising, board engagement, operations, financial management, and public relations/advocacy.
- A strong interest in human services, psychology, social work, public administration, and professional experience working with vulnerable populations is preferred.
- At least 3-5 years of experience successfully managing multiple direct reports, including coaching, and developing employees.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication and presentation skills, including the ability to effectively communicate in a variety of formats and venues in both casual and formal contexts.
- Demonstrated success developing and implementing fundraising plans, including increasing and diversifying revenue streams.
- Strong nonprofit financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making, and reporting.
- Comfort with negotiating and executing programmatic contracts and participating in compliance audits.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and equity best practices through cultural humility.
- Available to work a flexible schedule, including some evening, weekend, and holiday hours as well as to attend off-site conferences, Clubhouse International seminars and conferences, and Clubhouse International director’s training.
Our Team: Culture and Benefits
We strive to create an environment where everyone is valued regardless of background. We offer paid time off, health, dental, and vision insurance and an opportunity to join the CalSavers retirement plan. This is a hybrid role with an annual salary range for this position of
$125,000-$150,000 depending on experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer
California Clubhouse seeks a diverse and inclusive workforce that is representative of the members (program participants) we serve and our greater community. At California Clubhouse, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates with no discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, military and veteran status, and any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
Please share a thoughtful cover letter and resume to: CAClubhouseCareers@gmail.com. We thank you for your interest and will respond to all applicants!