After I got sick my parents had to put me into a mental hospital mainly because they could not watch me all the time. I had no idea what I was to do. After three times of going to the mental hospital, the nurses finally decided to put me into a community care home, and my parents agreed at the time.
I stayed there for nine months. On the seventh month that I was there, I was offered the chance to go to Gateway House. After a couple of months going to the Clubhouse, I noticed that I was doing better. I got up early each morning and started going to what I felt like was a job. Gateway House offered me an apartment. I was so happy because it was my first time to be on my own.
- Now I have been living in my own place for two and a half years.
- It has been three years since I have been in the hospital.
- I see my parents all the time. I go to the grocery store and to Walmart.
- I work on Transitional Employment Placements such as Schlotzky’s Deli, and I currently am working at Met Life.
- I have a cat that lives with me named “Smudge”.
I always tell everyone that my apartment, my home, is my own “piece of heaven.”