Job Description: Executive Director, Lexington House, Elkhart IN
The Board of Lexington House is on the way to opening an Accredited Clubhouse and is seeking a Executive Director to lead a newly formed Clubhouse in the City of Elkhart Indiana. To accomplish this we seek to hire the best possible candidate as a founding Executive Director.
Clubhouse is a community where people who have persistent mental illness choose to join and come to rebuild their lives. We offer Clubhouse members opportunities for education, wellness and employment. The Clubhouse is a community of support where colleagues engaged in side-by-side work. Our Clubhouse will be an excellent Standards-based Clubhouse guided by the International Standards for Clubhouse Programs. We plan to open in September 2020 and to seek accreditation from Clubhouse international by September 2021.
Key aspects of the Clubhouse model include the work ordered day, employment programs, social interaction, educational assistance, community support, and outreach. Decision-making and governance involves members. We seek integration around the Clubhouse model and values at all levels of the organization.
Our Clubhouse has independent governance as a nonprofit corporation. Our board is committed to reflecting the diversity of our community and to working together in ways that value and draw on the experiences and insight of board members who come from various ethnic groups and backgrounds. We are driven by passion for the Clubhouse vision and we seek a founding Executive Director who shares this passion.
Here are some qualities we need in the Executive Director:
- Charismatic leadership – able to speak publicly about the clubhouse.
- Well balanced, having the ability to meet people where they are in their journey.
- Thorough grounding in the Clubhouse vision, and experience in modeling, directing, encouraging, supporting, and protecting a Clubhouse culture full of hope, dignity, opportunity and laughter.
- Administrative skills suited to initiating and sustaining Clubhouse program. Administrative responsibilities include but are not limited to: working with board members, searching for a facility, fiscal responsibility, maintaining nonprofit status and meeting government regulations, grant writing and supervision, hiring staff, fundraising, and extending hospitality to members.
- Passion for Clubhouse and an ability to inspire others in our community to support the Clubhouse.
The Executive Director will need an understanding of the constituencies of Elkhart County and the City of Elkhart.
Resources the Clubhouse provides: Cross-cultural and socio-economic sensitivities and abilities to help the county’s Spanish-speaking, African American, Amish, and Anglo neighbors of all faiths come together to support and use Lexington House. A diverse and committed board.
- Support from our local community mental health centers.
- A firm three-year financial commitment for the Executive Director salary and benefits.
- Extensive grassroots support in our community.
- A commitment and support of diversity and inclusion.
- Advocacy on behalf of the Clubhouse and Clubhouse colleagues.
- Challenging, fast-paced enjoyable work in a collegial environment.
If you are interested in applying for this position and testing whether your skills, passion and experience would fit with what Lexington House is seeking, please send inquiry with resume to:
Keith Sarber, Vice President of Community Impact at United Way of Elkhart & LaGrange Counties